Celebrate with a live tree – safely
Choose the right tree! Healthy trees have green needles that do not fall off easily and supple, not brittle, branches.
- Water your tree daily, and keep your tree indoors for no more than two and a half weeks.
- Remove the tree immediately if it stops taking water or if needles become brittle or begin to drop.
Light the way to a careful holiday
- Test each strand of holiday lights in an outlet before hanging.
- Inspect strands for frayed wire and bulbs that are cracked, broken or missing.
- Touch each strand to be sure the wire and bulbs are not heating up. Discard any warm strands.
Watch and tend to open flames
- Decorate trees only with ornaments and electric lights, avoiding candles.
- Display candles away from curtains, paper and other combustible items and pets.
- Always extinguish candles when you leave the room, and monitor and trim wicks as you enjoy the candles’ warmth and aroma.
- Use a dish or container designed to catch melted wax.
- Always lock up candles, matches and lighters to protect children.
Maintain your fireplace and smoke detectors
- Before you get toasty in front of a fire, have your fireplace and chimney professionally cleaned.
- Use only aged, hard firewood to start and fuel your fire. Wrapping paper and tree needles and branches burn unpredictably and belong in the trash.
- Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, replacing batteries regularly.
While the holiday rush may keep you busy, taking the time to protect your family and home from fire is a valuable investment, ensuring more happy occasions for years to come.